Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Recent road trip

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    Nice show Mike. Hey and nice McIntosh gear!

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Steve, it took a real long time to get there forums

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I opted to drive to Modesto Ca. so I could pick up some Valencias I bought reasonable.

    After doing that and attending the training I stopped in Albany Or. on my way home and picked up a pair of 15's that were advertised as 14's.

    They are spotless and sound pretty good. I can't directly compare them to my original Vals as they are actively crossed and bi-amped. The 15's don't give up much though.

    There are some pictures added on to the slideshow at the end of them if interested. PS, if you click on full size for the slideshow it's easier to see and slows the pace down a bit. Well maybe it does forums

    http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=08b1e90f.pbw

    Mike

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Russnohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Nice stuff you've got there Mike! Really cool! I build model ships as well.


    Russ

  5. #5
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Love it all Mike and I happen to think the 15s are a mighty fine speaker in the right size room.

    It appears the XOs are still there and I would love to hear your impressions if you ever hook them back up in stock form.

    I always loved the gorgeous Macs like you have and will probably begin soon to trade off some speakers and turn it into nice gear.

    I keep hoping to happen upon an audiophiles widow having a yard sale but I also buy a lottery ticket now and then.

    Gary

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Gary, they are in stock form. It's my Valencias that are active. I'd sooner trust someone with better ears to adequately describe the difference forums The biggest difference I hear is the openness or depth.

    I'm not sure I used the correct terms but the Vals sound crystal clear while the 15's sound more like speakers if that makes sense. When you close your eyes the Vals disappear while the 15's don't. I'm also wondering if there is an internal wiring anomoly as the sound seems to come directly out of the speakers with little or no imaging.

    Then again maybe it's me forums If I could get Ron SS to drag himself up here then he could put the difference into more meaninful words than I can.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Someday I need to do that Mike!
    At least I'm still alive and kicking, and do check in here all the time.
    Nice setup you have for a "shop"

    Ron

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The shop is the only place I can set things up. The house is so small the system would stick out too far anywhere I put it. If my wife would allow it into the house forums She has a tin ear so it's all noise to her. forums

  9. #9
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thats interesting Mike. I do find the smaller horn on the 15s to be a bit more directional then my 19s so I think it's important to get them placed right and do you critical listening from the sweet spot.
    Just my opinion here but the 802-8Gs in those 15s should have a much mellower sound then your Vals 806s.
    Let me know of you need the color coding for the XO wires and I will open mine up to get yours straight.

    We all also have to pay close attention when buying these vintage altecs. They are supposed to have 802s but nothing says they may not have been molested along the way until you inspect and also make sure you have good diaphragms, preferably altec or GPAs IMHO.

    I would never attempt to rate a speakers sound until I know it is all correct as best as I can see. Both of my 15s 802s had different frams and one had a real lousy lead repair done on it. The guy swore they were never touched inside!!!!!

    Gary

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Gary, I think there are several reasons why the Val horns sound better to me. The Val horns are dampened and actively crossed. I have listened to them for many years and am most likely biased in favor of them forums Also They are driven by a tube amp whereas the 15's were driven by a SS amp and in stock format.

    I would appreciate the color code if it's not too much trouble. I'm curious as to why they sound out of phase or whatever it is that makes them lose their imaging capability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.